The basic steps to be able to use Adobe Illustrator to start to practice and design our own creations are the following:
- Step 1: open a new document from the upper menu bar, on the left-hand side.
- Step 2: choose the type of document you want to create, whether from scratch or making use of a template that offers us a preset design.
- Step 3: choose the workspace based on the type of document we’ve chosen for our project. We’ll access these options after opening a new project and from there we’ll be able to adjust parameters such as the size, document, measurement units, number of desks…
- Step 4: on the left-hand side of the work panel we’ll find the tools. From here we can create, select, and modify the objects to our own liking. Some of these tools come along with several functions.
- Step 5: to start practicing we can being by drawing basic shapes such as rectangles, circles, triangles or squares. The selection tool will help us to move them and change their size, as well as being able to modify nodes or pinpoints to give them a new shape.
- Step 6: with the color tool we’ll have a color palette available to fill in each shape.
- Step 7: we can insert images from the File menu.
- Step 8: finally, we can save the document in any of the available formats that suits our needs the best.
These are really basic actions that will help us to become familiar with this vector design program. From here on, we’ll have to discover the ins and outs of this software to create and design logos, illustrations, posters, brochures…