On any Android device like a smartphone or tablet, there's a centralized management of the updates of all the applications installed. This management is carried out by means of an application that works like an extra system layer of the operating system. We're talking about Google Play Services.
What is it and what's it for?
Well, we could define it in plain words as the middle man between your Android and all your device's apps. In other words, when you download an APK and install the application it makes it blend in better with all the operating system's functions and all Google's products: from maps to the application store. Therefore, it's an essential tool that's a key aspect for the correct functioning of your phone.
The tool that keeps your Android device updated.
Is it absolutely necessary for my phone to work? No, it isn't, as you could be using an Android version that doesn't depend on Google's ecosystem, from its app store to its maps and other services.
However, that's not its only function, as it covers others such as contact synchronization, access to the user's last privacy configuration or speeding up offline searches.
- Automatic update of applications.
- Integration of Google services with your handset.
- Authentication on applications and services owned by the company.
- Contact synchronization.
- Faster offline searches.
- Automatic installation of the application in the case of being deleted.
Problems that may arise
It isn't usual, but on certain occasions, this application's stability may fail and we might find that it crashes, it offers us an error message during an update or it consumes too much battery.
- In the case of failure: if it shuts down it will start up again because it's an essential function for the communication between Android and the software installed.
- High battery consumption: the solution may have to do with deleting stored data from the application settings or configuring the data synchronized by your user account.
- Update error: in this case, you might have to download the latest version of the application and reinstall it on your terminal. In any case, this is the best solution if you were to detect any malfunctioning of the app.
Changes in the latest version
- Introduces Cloud Firestore.