In the war being waged to take control of instant messaging and chat apps, everyone has their say. Although it's Facebook through Messenger and WhatsApp who controls the majority of users, there are loads of other possibilities: LINE, Telegram, Kik, Snapchat, Apple's iMessage... and, of course, Google with Hangouts.
For all the users of Google's services
It's an application developed by the company of the search engine that can be used without having to share your phone number: you only need to be a Google user with the email account you use to access Gmail and the rest of services. Thanks to the latter, you can download and use this app that offers instant messaging by means of text, video calls, voice calls, and group chats.
It's an app available for iPhone but also for other platforms such as Android, in APK format, desktop with versions for Windows PC and Mac, and on the web, as you can use it from your web browser.
Everything you need for a fluid communication with your contacts.
These are its main features and functions:
- Group chats with up to 150 participants.
- Configure your own status message and send photos, emojis, stickers, and animated GIFs to give your messages greater expressiveness.
- Share your location thanks to its integration with Google Maps.
- Video calls with up to 10 participants at the same time.
- Call any phone number using the VoIP protocol.
- Connect to your Google Voice account.
- Communicate regardless of the device used by your contacts.
- Send messages to your friends even when they're offline: they'll read them whenever they come back online.
However, you may have heard that Hangouts is on the verge of disappearing. When? Well, no date has been confirmed yet about the shutting down of the service. In any case, the application's API has been removed because Google wants to bring all their chats and video calls to Allo and Duo as two separate applications.