This year, the Pro Evolution Saga celebrates its twentieth anniversary, although it wasn't until 2001 that Konami renamed its football video games with this title. But before that, we already had fun playing World Soccer Winning Eleven, also known as Goal Storm in Europe, published in 1996 and that already told as what we were in for with football games.
Best sports game at Gamescom 2015.
To commemorate such a special occasion, the Japanese video game company has launched what's possibly the best PES to the date: PES 2016 - Pro Evolution Soccer. It's a football simulator that intends to compete with FIFA to become the best soccer game of the year, and in which the player can try his luck in any of the greatest football competitions of the world:
- Liga BBVA
- Copa del Rey
- Premier League
- FA Cup
- Serie A
- Ligue 1
- Champions League
- Europa League
- Copa Libertadores
- FIFA Club World Cup
Improvements made to PES 2016
In this version, Konami has tried to settle the criticism received in previous editions, implementing improvements that make this PES a much more realistic game, with an AI that's up to the best football titles.
- New Master League: in which the visual aspect and how we manage our team in this manager mode for PES 2016 has been totally renewed.
- Physical improvements: the engine of Pro 2016 make aerial jumps much more realistic and improve player collisions.
- More and better animations: there are up to three times more animations for field players and goalkeepers.
- Changing weather: matches can start under a scorching sun and end with torrential rainfalls.
- Improved player intelligence: each player individually and the whole team collectively behaves in a much more intelligent manner.
- New celebrations: control how your players celebrate their goals with different celebrations, including the famous Totti selfie.
- Renovated keeper controls: choose whether you want your goalkeeper to clear, catch, stretch out or deflect the ball, depending on the match situation.
Now that you know, don't hesitate to download the demo of PES 2016 for PC and start winning trophies and enjoying the skills of Neymar and Morata, among many other star players. And if you still don't have enough, try out the free-to-play edition of Pro Evolution Soccer 2016: PES 2016 myClub.
As usual, the game was a real hit on all the platforms to which it was released, not only Windows, but PS3, PS4, PSP, Xbox, Android and iPhone as well. It has become a real football season classic, just like its greatest rival FIFA. The fact is that they both remain loyal to their way of understanding football video games, with Konami's more straightforward approach.
The only drawback about these games is that season after season they become outdated because the squads change and there are new signings. If you want the most updated version you should download PES 2017. However, if you don't want to spend any more money you can update the game yourself thanks to the player editor. In any case, if you've chosen PES over FIFA you're probably not too worried about not using the real names of players and teams. That's secondary for you.