You've just survived an airplane accident, crashing on a supposedly desert island that hides plenty of secrets. No, it isn't the plot of Lost, but the story line of this survival horror video game called The Forest, and that has nothing to do with the movie of the same name. Here, you won't have to face up to parallel worlds, alternative realities or time traveling, but much more tangible dangers: a group of cannibals that want to turn you into their supper.
So, what's the goal of The Forest?
This terror game has a single and very clear target: surviving. And for such purpose, you'll have to use all the resources available in the open-world game that, in this sense, will remind you of Minecraft because you'll have to build whatever you need to protect yourself against the attack of the cannibals: from shelters to traps, as well as weapons and hunting and harvesting tools. You can craft almost anything to achieve your goal of surviving the nighttime horrors.
- Spend your day exploring the island and discovering its network of underground lakes and caves.
- Find food to not die of hunger and chop down trees to build your shelter and start a fire.
- Protect your new home with traps and defenses against hungry cannibals.
- Take refuge in your bunker at night and survive the hordes of enemies.
- Decide whether to face them in combat or use your intelligence and stealth to stay alive for another night.
- Online multiplayer mode to play collaboratively.
Which one's better? The Forest or Rust?
Reading about the plot and goal of this video game for PC and PS4, you're probably asking yourself if this game is right for you, or if you're better off downloading a similar title of the likes of Rust, another extreme survival game. Both titles are perfectly complementary, you shouldn't have to decide between one and the other, although we have to admit that if you're not too keen on frights, you should go for the video game by the creators of Garry's Mod that doesn't include the same terrifying component present in The Forest.