WhatsApp is undoubtedly the king of mobile instant messaging and chatting. The application owned by Facebook is practical and easy to use and has managed to reach the milestone of a billion active users: that's tremendous. However, that doesn't mean that it's the best, it just means that it's the most downloaded and used.
And that's despite all the chat apps that are currently available on the market: Telegram, LINE, Facebook Messenger, Skype... and also Viber. And this is precisely one of the most interesting and complete apps that we can come across to send messages, either text or making the most of its specific VoIP functions. In other words, you can use it to for voice messages and calls as well as video calls and messages.
With versions for Android, iPhone, Windows, and Mac
The developers of the rest of applications have started to develop desktop clients so that these services can be used from a PC (even if it's from a web browser), but Viber has been offering us this possibility for quite some time. That helped it to reach a large user base, despite not having the figures of Skype and Microsoft behind it, who precisely rated its features to use the app for video conferences.
One of the best applications to chat and send voice and video messages.
The application offers us features such as the following:
- Create chat groups of up to 250 people at the same time. Talk to them all and like the messages of other users.
- Make long-distance phone calls with high audio quality for free between users.
- Choose between making a voice all or establishing a video conference through your device's camera.
- Send short instant voice and video messages up to 30 seconds long.
- Safe and encrypted communications.
- Verifiable contacts.
- Stickers, emojis, and emoticons to express yourself better in your messages.
- Damage control: delete a text or voice message even after having sent it. However, if it has been read or somebody has taken a screenshot there's nothing you can do.
- Function to hide chats and make them only accessible by means of a PIN code.
- Additional functions such as games, possibility to follow public accounts, and different options to share photos and contacts.
Rather than an alternative to WhatsApp, it's really an alternative to Skype thanks to its VoIP functions that are much more developed than the majority of apps that come along with video conference and phone call functions.