Nobody can deny that WhatsApp is the worldwide king of instant messaging and chat applications. With over a billion users, nobody comes even close, regardless of how many applications have tried to become the best alternative to this messenger, as is the case of Telegram, LINE, Facebook or Skype. However, there are countries in which it isn't the dominating messaging app, as is the case of China. That's where WeChat is the clear winner, a complete app to chat that improves the functions of its competitors
It could well be the best chat app if it were used by more people.
And among all those functions that it includes to stand up to its rivals, we can point out all sorts of functions and features that bring it closer to a social network, rather than just a simple communications tool. These are the most noteworthy aspects of the service:
- Multimedia messages: support for text messages, video, images, and voice.
- Group chats and calls: supports video calls with up to 9 participants and groups chats with up to 500 members.
- Free voice and video calls using the VoIP protocol to communicate with people from all over the world.
- WeChat Out calling system to phone landline and mobile numbers from all over the world, although restricted in certain countries.
- WeChat Pay system for mobile payments with support for QR and or native in-app and web systems (restricted to certain countries).
- Complete gallery of emojis and stickers to use in your messages.
- Moments function to share sequences of personal pictures.
- Make friends through the Friend Radar, Nearby People and Shake your Phone functions.
- Possibility to share your location in real-time.
- Customized notifications.
- Desktop client for PC and Mac compatible with your mobile account to resume conversation where you last left them.
- Drift bottle function: send messages inside a bottle that any user around the world can receive.
- Associate your Facebook account with WeChat.
As we can see, it incorporates a wide range of functions within a single app, that are also present in several other popular messaging applications, therefore, we can consider it an all-in-one. Furthermore, its functions to meet other nearby users increase its social side.
Greater privacy for your communications
One of the greatest concerns for users of messaging apps has to be privacy. In many services, as soon as you hit the send button you lose all your control over the message as it's then stored on external servers.
However, this app tries to settle this problem by storing our register of messages offline on our handset, so that we can only access them from our smartphone.
Therefore, you'll be safer using this app than others, although not completely secure. Even if end-to-end encryption increases your level of privacy, there's nothing you can do if your phone has been infected by some kind of spyware or keylogger of the likes of the CIA's tools according to WikiLeaks. So if you don't want anybody else to have access to your conversations, simply don't write it.
It can be downloaded and used for free although it also offers us in-app purchases to buy certain elements. Furthermore, you can use its different Windows, web and macOS clients to chat from your computer's desktop.
What's new in the latest version
- Configure from the general settings what you want to show on the Discover screen.
- Quickly switch user accounts with a single tap.