Remember those times when you always got lost trying to get to the hotel or the train station in an unknown city? Now, thanks to smartphones, Internet connections, and navigation applications of the likes of Google Maps it's almost impossible not to find your bearings anywhere around the world. But the maps application developed by the guys at Mountain View isn't the only one of its kind, although definitely one of the best. We can also make use of interesting alternatives such as this 2GIS - Offline Maps for iPhone and iPad, also available to be downloaded on Android in APK format.
What is 2GIS?
It's a Russian company founded in 1999 by the Sysoev brothers in Novosibirsk, the third most populated city in the country after Moscow and Saint Petersburg, and nowadays one of the most important tech firms of the former Soviet republic with over 3,000 employees, although some way behind Yandex.
Its star product is this mapping software that brings together navigation and a business directory to allow us to search for any company, establishment, store, bar or restaurant, check information about opening hours, contact numbers, web pages, and receive accurate directions to get there, whether by car, public transport (bus, underground, train...) or walking.
Similar to a crossover between Google Maps and Yellow Pages.
- 3D maps of over 180 cities and 75 metropolitan areas from all over the world, with special attention to countries under Russian influence.
- Contact information of over 1.5 million companies and businesses, as well as public institutions such as schools, hospitals, and police stations.
- Offers information such as phone numbers, email addresses, web pages, opening hours, and payment methods available.
- Directions to get to any place by car, tube, bus or on foot.
- Possibility to download the maps to use them offline.
- Find nearby stores and companies thanks to your phone's GPS functions.
- Explore entire buildings to see which organizations have offices on each floor.