There's some fierce competition going on in the field of chat and instant messaging applications: LINE, Facebook Messenger, Kik, Telegram... the offer is extremely wide but it doesn't look like anyone can bring down the undeniable leader who's none the other than WhatsApp. However, that doesn't stop other developers from bringing out their own applications trying to get their own portion of the cake.
Blackberry's messaging application
Before the boom of Android and iPhone, the guys at the Canadian company BlackBerry dominated the market. Ever since the irruption of Apple and Google, their setback it terms of market share has been constant until they've managed to keep a tiny user base that still hasn't swapped their phones. The latter use the native app BBM - BlackBerry Messenger to communicate between them, but this application has now landed on other platforms as is the case of Android.
BlackBerry's chat comes along with a widre range of functions and features that are sometimes better than those of their rivals.
And although BlackBerry is compatible with WhatsApp, for instance, many users continue using BBM to communicate. Why? Basically due to the features and functions that turn it into a very functional and practical messaging application that can sometimes be better and more complete than its direct competition.
- Free voice calls using the VoIP protocol.
- Function to share photos, files, voice notes, videos and documents.
- Reports about the reading and delivery of sent messages.
- Runs in the background.
- Wide range of stickers and emoticons.
- Shows locations in real-time on a map.
- Full control over messages: delete messages and photos before they are read by their recipient.
- Timer so that a message is only readable during a certain period of time.
- Private chat function.
- BBM pin to share contact information without having to share your phone number.
- Group chats with up to a maximum of 250 users.
- BBM Groups to configure permanent groups to share files, tasks or create calendar events.
- Broadcast messages.
- BBM Channels to which users can subscribe to receive interesting information.
- User profile that allows you to publish different photos and even animated GIFs.
By downloading and installing this APK on your smartphone as a complement for the rest of your messaging apps, you'll realize all the possibilities that it offers. All the abovementioned functions are packed into a simple and user-friendly interface that allows us to easy the app easily and intuitively, without getting lost among settings or confusing content layouts.
Which is the best messaging app?
This is a difficult question to answer as we'd have to take into account different criteria depending on the user. What shall we appraise? Security? Design? Number of functions? Number of users? As we said before, WhatsApp is the king of these apps if we take into account its market share, but that doesn't mean it's the best. We could consider Blackberry's Messenger ahead of other rivals that are more popular, but it has a setback in countries in which these mobile devices have never been a serious alternative to Android or iPhone.
In any case, don't hesitate to give this tool a chance to chat to any of your contacts that also use it.