Thus, gvSIG is a freeware initiative that will allow the user to obtain geographic information, in a very precise way. In particular, it is framed within a project devoted to geomatics. This science integrates all the resources necessary to carry out the capture, the treatment, the analysis, the interpretation,... to the subsequent dissemination of this information.
This geographic information system includes plenty of cartography data on servers that are compatible with OGC services specifications, that represents an advantage compared to other similar applications.
Some of the most important functions of gvSIG are:
- Handles raster and vector formats.
- Teledetection and topology tools.
- Improved symbology in all the maps.
- Network analysis: distance matrix, Delaunay triangulation, Thiessen polygons,...
- Multiple editing functions.
- Compatibility with the main CAD formats.
- Customization of the interface.