The purpose behind Houseparty is to make video and voice calls a natural and spontaneous way of communicating with an Android smartphone. And it manages to achieve it with the help of the hardware incorporated to mobile devices, clearly aimed at multimedia functions, and thanks to the increasingly faster Internet connections.
What is Houseparty?
Well, it's basically an application to make group video calls between two or more users. We could think that it has a function similar to Skype, but the truth is that it intends to be somewhat less rigid and that's why it's more focused on the concept of video chat. In other words, this app has a perfectly defined target and that's the Snapchat-type user: they want voice and video communications to be as fast as sending a WhatsApp message.
Video conferences with the informal style of Snapchat or Periscope.
And, will it manage to get there? Well, there are already loads of people using this app and it has been warmly welcomed by the users... but to reach a market share similar to Snapchat or any other app for teenagers, they've still got a long way to go.
It comes along with functions and features like the following:
- Possibility to use the front or rear camera: thanks to the latter we can show ourselves or broadcast to our contacts whatever is taking place in front of us.
- Enable or disable notifications.
- Edit your user profile.
- Lock the room so nobody else can get it to protect the privacy of your conversations. This function is reserved for the chat room's administrator.
- Mut your microphone if you only want to stream image.
By the way, this app is developed by the team that was in charge of Meerkat, the service for live video broadcasting on Twitter that was banned in favor of Periscope.
How does it work?
It obviously uses your phone's camera, whether the front or rear one (it will usually use the front camera, the one for selfies). When you establish a connection with a contact, your screen will be split into two... and it will be divided into more parts as you add more participants to the group conversations: you'll all see each other's face while you chat.
And to get it going, once you've downloaded the APK of House Party, you've got to do the following:
- Step 1: sign up as a user with your email address, name, username, and password.
- Step 2: verify your phone number, although this step is optional.
- Step 3: search for friends in the application or invite them by sending a message through Facebook Messenger, email or SMS.
- Step 4: add your contacts to the video chat by tapping on them.
Now that you know, with this application, you can chat with your friends and speak face to face regardless of the distance between them.
What's new in the latest version
- Includes a new game in which we have to find the hidden word as fast as possible.