Born in 1996 and currently maintained as an open-source software project, VLC Media Player is considered as one of the best multimedia players in the world. Its different versions can be downloaded for different operating systems such as Windows PCs, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS.
The best multimedia player for iPhone
This is the version for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, that enriches the experience of playing and watching videos on Apple's mobile devices. And why? Basically, because it's the application that you'll have to use if you want to play any unconverted video as it can handle all formats. It's the most versatile multimedia player around.
Its framework is capable of playing the majority of multimedia files... and we'll say the majority just in case, because it can really play all sorts of files that can be opened without needing to download additional codecs. We're even talking about formats associated to DVDs, audio CDs, and VCDs, as well as compatibility with different transmission protocols.
If there's a versatile and all-terrain player, it's definitely this one.
- Play any file in any format, including the oddest and rarest video and audio files.
- Play MKV files with multiple audio tracks (including 5.1) and subtitles.
- Compatibility with HLS, MMS, and RTSP streaming protocols.
- Functions for video filters, playback speed control, and adjusted searches.
- Management of your multimedia library with the possibility to upload and download files via WiFi to and from Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, and Box.
- Simple user interface.
- Compatible with Bluetooth connections and AirPlay.
- Complete support for file servers.
- Native support for Plex.
- On-the-fly subtitle synchronization.
- Apple Watch extensions.
- Compatible with screencast systems of the likes of Chromecast and Apple TV.
Several studies have confirmed that the number of people that watch movies, series or any other kind of audiovisual content on their smartphones and tablets is growing by the day. You might even be one of those people that now play so many videos on their mobile device, so you could do with the best video player for iPhone. VideoLAN's development is just what you need. Better than QuickTime? Better than KMPlayer? Well yes, it definitely is... And for free.
What's new in the latest version
- Adapted to the new iPad Pro.
- Fixes a login error.
- New double-tap function to full screen.
- Multiple selections of files on iCloud.