GPS navigators are in for some tough competition on behalf of smartphones and tablets. Android and iPhone have become for many users the ultimate tool to find their bearings and establish routes by means of geolocation. To such an extent that manufacturers of the likes of TomTom or Garmin have also developed apps for these devices.
Google Maps is possibly the most popular GPS navigation app as it's preinstalled on the majority of Android phones and has millions of downloads on Apple's mobile devices. However, despite being a map app that includes a positioning and orientation function with traffic data, that isn't its main feature
GPS navigation app for iPhone based on social functions
For such purpose, we can make use of Waze - GPS Navigation, Maps & Social Traffic, an application designed specifically to use while driving our car based on its own mapping system, as well as data provided by its huge user network. As indicated by its name, we're talking about a social navigator, with real-time and very specific data.
Road incidents based on the information provided by other users.
Among its main features and functions, we have to point out the following:
- Traffic status based on road information and real-time traffic data thanks to the info provided by its user community.
- Voice-based navigation instructions.
- System of alerts and notifications.
- Live maps edited and updated by Waze's team of editors.
- Automatic update of routes according to road conditions.
- Memorizes frequent destinations and timetables.
- Function to find cheap gas stations on your way.
- Possibility to add and check information about waypoints or local companies.
- Add Facebook friends and synchronize contacts in your circle.
- Check the estimated arrival time of friends going to the same destination as you.
How does Waze work?
The application can be used to find your bearings on a route in which the information is taken automatically from the rest of users. Thus, you can find out about road incidents thanks to their comments and contributions, as well as information received automatically. Therefore, you can know whether traffic is dense, slow or if there's any kind of problem that will make change our route. In fact, it's capable of doing so in real-time, so that you can take the quickest or safest detour to reach your destination.
Another interesting function has to do with its system of alerts and notifications. Not only will we know if there has been an accident, if traffic is slow or if there's a cheap gas station on our way, but we'll also be warned about speed cameras and any other circumstance that may alter our journey.
Without a doubt, it's one of the best, if not the best, GPS navigation apps around, capable of working both online and offline if you use its option to download maps to use them without an Internet connection.
What's new in the latest version?
- Fixes an error relative to Facebook events.