Wings 3D is a free open source application focused on the construction of 3D models, that makes use of the subdivision of polygons technique, that allows the user to start with very few polygons, to finish by applying a transformation that multiplies the polygons, smoothing the texture of the objects surface.
The main features of Wings 3D are:
- 3D modeling based on the subdivision of polygons technique.
- Easy to use by means of context menus, that unfurl when we click the right button of the mouse.
- Great amount of tools to assign materials and textures.
- Export to several formats, among which you'll find: Nendo, 3D Studio, VRML, Povray, Collada, ...
- Import several formats, including: NDO, 3DS, OBJ, AI, etc.
To sum up, Wings 3D is an excellent utility to start modeling 3D objects and get used to the basic tools, by means of simple context menus.