Tool to explore, catalog, edit, and convert images
Nowadays, due to how easy it is to take photos on our Android smartphone or iPhone, it's easy to end up with a collection of thousands of pictures that are probably in a complete mess without any kind of organization. If you think it's time to tidy up all your albums, you should download FastStone Image Viewer for PC, a Windows application that also behaves like a simple photo editor and converter with a user-friendly interface.
A great photo editor and viewer that's very easy to use and intuitive.
The truth is that it's an image viewer that reminds us of the classic Windows explorer. The thing is that it comes along with wide range of functions that improve the features of any standard image viewer for PC that you may know. So, it might not have the most modern design, however, it's very complete.
Its features make it one of the best and most versatile image organizers around:
- Image viewer and browser with a familiar user experience due to its similarity to the Windows explorer.
- Supports all the major image formats: BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, and TGA; and also for RAW formats for the most popular digital cameras: CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF, and DNG.
- Powerful image editing tools: image resizing, rotation, cropping, shape adjustments, color curve and level settings, red-eye corrections, format conversion...
- Function to check the metadata and EXIF information of images.
- View images as a presentation with the possibility to incorporate effects, transitions, and even a musical accompaniment (with support for different audio formats such as MP3, WMA, and WAV).
- Special color and image effects.
- Possibility to write texts on the photos or draw lines and other geometric shapes.
- Image management including tagging and copying and moving files to other folders.
- Creation of artistic montages.
- Screen capture function to create screenshots.
- Customize the interface by means of skins.
FastStone is an application development studio focused on tools relative to image processing. In fact, apart from this great Image Viewer, they've also got other decent programs such as FastStone Capture, MaxView, and Photo Resizer, all of which can be downloaded for free provided that they're not going to be used for commercial purposes, in which case, we'd have to purchase a license.
FastStone for Linux and Mac?
The users of macOS and Linux distros of the likes of Ubuntu or Mint are going to have to search for alternatives to this program as they can't download FastStone Image Viewer for PC for these platforms. However, there are decent options such as XnView or ACDSee, great image processing programs that are also available on PC.
What's new in the latest version?
Version 7.6 of this image viewer comes along with the following updates:
- New database engine for better performance, capacity, and reliability.
- Added a rating system to classify files from 1 to 5.
- Added "Pre-scan folders into thumbnail database" tool under the Settings menu.
- Added 3 new sorting options: Date Taken, Rating, and Tagged.
- Now when copying or moving files, tags and ratings will be preserved.
- Optimized the program for reduced launch time.
- Enhanced the 3 built-in themes: Bright, Gray, and Dark.
- In windowed view, two status bars merged into one to maximize the viewing area.
- Many other small improvements, including vulnerability and bug fixes.
With a degree in History, and later, in Documentation, I have over a decade of experience testing and writing about apps: reviews, guides, articles, news, tricks, and more. They have been countless, especially on Android, an operating system...