When we talk about reducing the size of a file with WinRAR, we are referring to compressing it so that it takes less space on the hard drive or wherever you want to store it. WinRAR is very easy to use:
- Step 1: Locate the file or files that you want to reduce in size.
- Step 2: Right click on the file or files.
- Step 3: Select the option Add to file...
- Step 4: In the new pop-up window, define the name of the final file, its format, and the update mode, which is to say, decide what will happen with the new and the old file: do you want to keep the old one, replace it with the new one, etc. There are other additional options such as splitting the file into smaller parts, creating self-extracting files, and deleting files after packing them.
- Step 5: Press OK and in a few minutes you will have a new, smaller file.
By compressing a file with WinRAR, you are making it smaller in size, saving space, and making it easier to send as an attachment. Compressed files will also serve as backups. However, there is a specific configuration to reduce the size of the file as much as possible. To do this, in Step 4 in the pop-up window before you have all the configuration options we mentioned earlier, check the following:
- Compression method: Best.
- Check the Create a solid archive checkbox.
- Now go to the Advanced tab, click Compression, check all the Force options, and set the General Compression to 64.