The most complete compression tool
The usefulness of compressing and decompressing files is beyond any doubt: on the one hand, it helps us to reduce their size, saving storage space, and on the other, it allows us to share it through different channels much easier, merging files into a single folder or protecting unauthorized accesses to any documents by compressing it with a password. ZIP has become one of the most popular formats among PC users. To such an extent that Windows offers native compatibility. But if you're looking for a tool that allows you to work with format making the most of all its possibilities, there's not much thinking to do: we need to download WinZip for PC, one of the most classic compressors.
Compressing files in ZIP format: an all-time classic.
Main features of WinZIP
Among the features available once we download WinZip for PC, we can find functions of all kinds, not only aimed at compression and decompression but also other complementary features that simplify file management:
- Compress both files and folders in ZIP, LHA and ZIPX formats.
- Decompress many other formats: ARJ, BZ, WinHex, CAB, TAR, RAR, IMG, ISO...
- Observe the contents of the compressed files as if you are using the Windows explorer.
- Create encrypted compressed files by means of AES and protect them with a password.
- Capacity to create self-booting files, so that the receptor won't require a compressor to access the contents.
- Compress large files into different parts that you'll later be able to join.
- Intuitive assistant to create compressed files.
- Powerful algorithm that makes most of the hardware available to be able for a compression between 50% and 80% quicker.
- Compress images between 20% and a 25% without any quality losses.
- “Drag & Drop”, drag the files that you want to compress to the software's interface.
- Compress, encrypt and send the file via email directly from the application.
- Create automatic backups to prevent losing any data and receive emails confirming the activity.
- Integration with the Windows explorer context menu.
A program in constant evolution
WinZip has been offering us compression solutions for over two decades. That's why it has had to adapt to the changes and the evolution of domestic computers, offering us options that integrate with modern functions that were completely unknown back then. For instance, compatibility with other devices like Mac, Android, and iOS or improvements that affect our productivity, allowing us to use it in other apps such as Microsoft Office.
The options to share documents and files have also been improved, with special emphasis on the tools to send them online through other apps, especially with dedicated functions depending on the type of file.
128 and 256-bit AES encryption, the possibility to add watermarks, and the capacity to convert files to PDF are also functions offered by one of the most complete zipping and unzipping suites that we can download to Windows.
New in the latest version
- New Files Shared with Me folder.
- Batch conversion functions.
- Allows us to switch seamlessly between Windows Explorer and WinZip.
- New shortcut to recent contacts.
- Adds compatibility with NAS units on our personal cloud.
Requirements and additional information:
- The trial version can be used for 45 days.
- An Internet connection is required to complete the installation.
With a degree in History, and later, in Documentation, I have over a decade of experience testing and writing about apps: reviews, guides, articles, news, tricks, and more. They have been countless, especially on Android, an operating system...