If you want to split a large file into smaller parts with WinRAR, this is what you have to do:
- Step 1: Select the file you want to split, right click on it, and select Add to file...
- Step 2: A new pop-up window with several tabs will open. Typically, you will be on the General tab by default; otherwise, go to the General tab.
- Step 3: Among several available options, you will find Split to volumes in the bottom left corner, over a drop-down box where you can select the size of each part. There is another drop down box where you can choose the unit. Use the total size of the file to calculate what size to enter in case you want a specific number of parts.
- Step 4: Click OK and wait patiently until WinRAR completes the process. Depending on the size of the original file, this process may take more or less time.
- Step 5: At the end of this process, all the parts will be stored in the output folder that you have specified.
There is a second option to do this from the program's interface. In this interface, find the option Add… at the top, and repeat the steps we have explained above. You can also locate the file with the file explorer embedded in WinRAR and right click on it. That is, you can find the tool via Windows Explorer or from the WinRAR interface.
This function is very useful for large files. Dividing them into smaller parts makes it easier to send them through all kinds of platforms and services.