Within the Microsoft Office suite, we can make use of a great tool to create and edit spreadsheets. Its purpose is to carry out all sorts of financial and accounting projects, and although it's focused on increasing the productivity of professional environments, it can also be used in the educational and domestic field.
Excel allows its users to draw up tables and formats that include automatic maths calculations by means of preset formulas, called functions, in order to speed up our work in the event of having to operate with additions, averages, divisions, etc.
Create and edit spreadsheets on any device and without downloading anything.
Well, we all obviously know the desktop version of this tool that has been published for both Windows PC and Mac computers. However, now we only need to have a Microsoft user account, an Internet connection and web browser of the likes of Firefox, Safari or Chrome to access the online version of this application. We're talking about Excel Online that's part of the pack of Office Online apps and that offers us the possibility to access its functions for free and wherever we are.
In this online version of the program, you're not going to find anything different from the desktop app. Maybe a few limitations regarding the availability of certain functions, but you won't even notice them:
- Create and edit spreadsheets.
- Create customized documents or import data from databases or other kinds of documents.
- Insert tables with numbers and alphanumerical values.
- Filter the values of those tables and sort them according to different criteria.
- Apply formulas, equations, and functions to the data.
- Represent that data visually generating graphics.
- Share your work with other users or via Skype.
- Save your work and resume it on other devices thanks to its synchronization with OneDrive.
- Compatible with XLS, XML, and CSV, among others.
- Preset templates for your work.
But don't think that just for being a free online product that it's worse than the desktop version. Here you'll find almost the same functions to that you'd use on Excel 2016 or previous versions such as 2013, 2010 or 2007.
This tool is part of the pack of Office Online apps that also include Word Online, PowerPoint Online or OneNote Online, amongst others. It's definitely a very comfortable way to carry our work around without having to carry around or computer and that runs on any operating system: Windows, Linux, macOS or even Android and iOS.