For quite some years, Google has a service that allows users to enjoy the most important art and culture elements in the world, traveling to museums and exhibitions from all over the planet without getting up from our desk or through your mobile devices.
Google Arts & Culture is a service developed by the Internet giant that cooperates with over 1,200 museums and galleries in more than 70 countries to bring the best collections to the online world so that anyone can visit them through a huge art database. Thanks to this service, the user can discover the history through art shown via thousands of photos, videos, and virtual reality tours with incredible image quality.
Main features of Google Arts & Culture
- Allows us to search for works of art by period and color.
- Possibility to access hundreds of exhibitions from over 1,000 museums all over the world.
- Possibility to examine the slightest details of the most interesting pieces of art.
- Includes virtual guided visits to the most famous museums in the world.
- Includes curiosities so that the user can learn new things each time he opens the application.
- A map that shows nearby museums and cultural events.
- Compatible with the use of Google Cardboard to make the most of art in virtual reality.
- Allows us to save our favorite works of art and share collections with our friends.
Is your portrait in a museum?
However, Google wanted to go a step further and has carried out a peculiar experiment with its huge art database. It has used its artificial intelligence and facial recognition technology to search for your face amongst the millions of paintings stored in its database.
To be able to try out this tool and find out if you've got a lookalike hanging on a museum wall, you've only got to follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: download the Android application from Google Play (it's also available for iOS).
- Step 2: open the app and scroll down until you find the option Is your portrait in a museum?.
- Step 3: allow Google to access your camera.
- Step 4: take a selfie, press start, and wait for your photo to be compared to the database.
- Step 5: the system will show you several options and your percentage of similarity with each one of them.
What's new in the latest version
- New Art Transfer groups to organize your photos.
- Unlock badges by exploring special camera functions.