Smartphones and tablets have improved a lot in terms of accessibility and one of the applications that have contributed to this is Speech Services by Google. This is an application that lets the content of any other app be read aloud by phone. That is, any application that offers the option of reading its content aloud can be offered with audio and a natural reading voice.
It must be taken into account that many applications offer extensive contents that require our attention for a long time. It can be very useful in case we cannot pay adequate attention to the screen or because we are doing other things at the same time, for example, walking down the street. Think of applications such as eBooks, translators, or GPS navigators.
Google Speech: what is it for?
You should know that you will not need to download the APK on your smartphone since it is an application that is preinstalled on Android. However, you may need it in case you have disposed of it or want to upgrade its features to the latest version.
Once configured correctly, you can use it in circumstances such as the following:
- To search for addresses on Google Maps from the car.
- To transcribe recordings from the smartphone recorder.
- To read books from Google Play Books, equipped with the Read Aloud feature.
- With Google Translator to hear the translations and how the words are pronounced.
- With TalkBack and other applications that can provide you with voice messages on the device.
- With accessibility applications such as Voice Access, developed for people with difficulties manipulating the touch screen.
- With any application developed to have a voice search function.
- To learn pronunciation with language apps.
Use the device with the Google text-to-speech and voice transcription technologies.
How to use the Google speech app?
Its operation is very simple. All you need to do is go to Settings > Language & input > Google Voice Services. Now, all you have to do is select the application as your preferred reading engine. However, in many devices, it is already activated by default.
News from the latest version
- More voices to choose from in English (Australian), English (UK), and French (France).
- All voices of a language are now downloaded together, saving storage space on your device.
- Performance improvements for 64-bit devices.
- Other voice enhancements.