Google no longer has enough with getting hold of all the data about our online activities but now wants to collect those our communications as well. Since it has failed in the social network and chat and instant messaging fields (Facebook is way ahead), it's trying to make way in the phone call sector. And it's managing to do so thanks to both its native phone app for Android and this Google Voice.
Phone, voice mail, and chat, all in one
But apart from its dubious practices from an ethical point of view, let's talk about what interests us now: this application brings together on the same app what used to be in several of them as it allows us to make calls, manage our voice mail, and chat with our contacts from the same interface. In other words, it's here to take over from Phone App and Hangouts.
But there are many more functions to this application as it also offers us other features to improve our control over our phone communications and privacy (regarding the rest of users, obviously not Google):
- Filter spam automatically and block numbers from which you don't want to receive calls. Manage incoming calls, SMS, and the voice mail by means of customized settings.
- Automatic backups that are easy to recover.
- Chat with your contacts.
- Manage messages between devices by simply logging into your account.
- Transcribe the messages on your voice mail.
- Make international calls at low prices.
It's definitely a great application to manage our phone conversation but with one drawback: if you download this APK, you can only use it through your G Suite account (and not in all countries) since it's only available in certain regions.
What's new in the latest version
- Stability and performance improvements.