Instagram, the social network of photos on the rise and owned by Facebook, has just released IGTV, a new platform within its own network that allows us to watch all sorts of videos but longer than the rest of users, as well as being able to create our own channel.
Unlike the Stories videos that instragramers could record until now, these ones aren't limited to one minute and occupy the full vertical screen of our smartphone. Therefore, the service proves that it's still fighting to win over more and more users from Snapchat that's on a down and even from YouTube, because as it allows us to have our own channel we can lure over real subscribers just as if we were youtubers.
Main features of IGTV
Although this option is included natively in the Instagram app, downloading the standalone version is going to let us access the following functions much faster and easier:
- Once we access our Instagram account, we can start watching videos right away.
- Users can follow the accounts of whoever they want, whether friends, acquaintances or celebrities.
- We can explore videos related to our tastes and discover new creators.
- We can comment on the videos.
- The interface takes up the whole screen and the videos are much more eye-catching and appealing than Stories.
- The IGTV videos can be embedded in any blog or web.
- Allows us to save videos as drafts to modify them later on or upload them from our PC.
- The user can edit the titles and descriptions of the videos.
- All likes and comments on IGTV videos are received via Instagram notifications.
- All followers of an Instagram account will have direct access to that account's IGTV videos, therefore, there's no need to search for followers on the video platform.
Unlike the short Stories videos, here the user can view the analytics of the uploaded videos to analyze the impact of the content: an important option if Zuckerberg intends to compete against YouTube. To view this information, we must access the menu with three dots on the video to be analyzed and tap the Insight option. The report includes interesting information for users such as the following:
- A chart that shows what percentage of the video has been seen by the followers.
- The number of views.
- The number of Likes.
- The number of comments.
We also have to bear in mind that, at least for the time being, the contents created by IGTV can't be monetized. For this reason, although it's easier to record and upload a video to IGTV than to YouTube, all important youtubers, influencers, and in general, anyone that generates income on social networks, will continue to use Google's horizontal video platform.
What's new in the latest version
- The changes of this update haven't been specified by the developers.