Passenger transport services that are alternatives to the traditional taxi are becoming the in-thing. The professionals in this sector are complaining about how easy it is to work in an environment that lacks regulations, with the situation leading to strikes and a few riots.
The main actor in this controversy is usually Uber, maybe because it's the most popular service of this nature, but there are others such as Cabify or this Lyft that we're introducing you to, a North American service that works almost identically to Uber.
How does Lyft work?
The Android app of this service works as follows:
- Step 1: share your location with the application to order a transport.
- Step 2: indicate your destination and check how much the journey can cost.
- Step 3: your transport will arrive in a matter of minutes, always depending on the distance.
- Step 4: pay from the application using PayPal, credit card or by means of a link to Apple Pay or Google Wallet.
- Step 5: rate your driver.
The application was born in San Francisco and in the USA it has a huge user base with over 18 million journeys every month. In other countries, it's still not so popular, although it's gradually expanding and starting to compete with other similar services.
As a transport possibility, it offers you four different kinds of services:
- Line: it's the cheapest option that brings together drivers and passengers going to the same destination.
- Basic: the classic service in which the driver arrives and takes you from spot A to spot B.
- Plus: for customers that require a 6-seater car.
- Premier: for clients that demand a luxury vehicle.
Now that you know, you can download Lyft and use it as an alternative to Uber to save some money when it comes to catching a taxi.
What's new in the latest version
- Minor bug fixes.