If each time you go to the supermarket or you visit a new cellar, you spend hours admiring all the wine references and it always takes you too long to decide on which one to go for, Vivino is the application you need on your mobile device. It's basically the largest wine library in the world with over 10 million entries and a community of about 20 million users.
Cabernet Sauvignon? Syrah? Zinfandel? Pinot Noir? Chardonnay? Sauvignon Blanc? Riesling? You'll find them all here.
But its most noteworthy function allows us to use the camera of our Android smartphone to scan the label of any bottle and instantly receive tons of information about that wine, as well being able to read the opinions of users that have already tried it. That makes it impossible to get it wrong when choosing a bottle of wine for any important date or dinner.
How to use this wine bottle scanner on your Android?
Simply download the APK of this application from Google Play (it's also available for iPhone from iTunes), and take a plunge into the interesting world of wines:
- Scan the label of any wine bottle to get to know its information, ratings, and user opinions.
- Discover reviews by other community members and find out the average price paid for any bottle.
- Scan the wine list of restaurants and bars to help you choose amongst the wines available.
- Find the best offers to purchase wine on the Internet.
- Write your own reviews and analyses of the wines you've tasted.
- Keep a log with all the wines you've drunk.
- Search manually for the name of any wine to get more information about it.
- Access lists of the best wines at present sorted by price range.
- Receive recommendations by applying different kinds of filters.
- Add friends with whom you share the same wine drinking interests.
Can it be used for beers? Unfortunately, that's not possible. For the time being, beer lovers don't have anything like it. The most similar app is probably Untappd but it doesn't offer us the function to scan bottles which turns this application into an essential tool for any wine connoisseur.