The proliferation of smartphones and tablets has simplified the learning process of languages wherever we are, whether at home or traveling abroad. That's mainly thanks to apps of the likes of Duolingo: Learn Languages Free, one of the best applications to learn languages that we can download to Android and that has the largest number of users all over the world.
How Duolingo works
The Duolingo learning method is based on two simple premises. On the one hand, the user has to spend time practicing every single day. It doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes or 1 hour, but the user has to be constant. On the other hand, it's a method that can help us to learn grammar and vocabulary very intuitively by means of images.
To start using Duolingo, we have to follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: the first thing to do is sign up on the platform and choose the language that we want to learn as well as the time we're willing to spend.
- Step 2: in the second place, we have to assess our level of knowledge of that language. For such purpose, we'll carry out a test that's basically a translation and the writing of different sentences.
- Step 3: once we've established our level of knowledge of the language in question, we'll start to complete exercises. Mainly activities about identifying images, repeating sentences, translations, or writing essays in that language.
It's a progressive method that introduces us to different concepts as we advance and that later refreshes our memory with each new activity as we'll practice what we've learned.
One of the most popular methods to learn languages on an Android phone.
These are the main functions and features that we can make use of once we download and install the APK of Duolingo:
- A progressive and intuitive language learning system that includes speaking, reading, and writing.
- Possibility to check your progress.
- Learn together with your friends or compete against them online.
- Different difficulty levels adapted to the user's knowledge.
- System to learn whilst playing: you'll advance once you complete a unit, you'll lose lives for wrong answers, you'll score points, and you can move onto the next level just like in any game.
What languages can I learn with Duolingo?
The app offers us a wide range of languages to be learned including English, French, Italian, Japanese, German, Arabic... you can even learn High Valyrian, one of the languages that appear in Game of Thrones.
What's new in the latest version
- Adds tips, useful sentences and pronunciation and grammar advice in Spanish, Chinese, and French.