Regardless of how important the theory is, languages are learned by practicing and speaking them. However, one of the problems is that on many occasions we don't have whom to practice with, but luckily enough Tandem - Language Exchange is here to solve this situation.
It's an Android language exchange app that puts us in touch with other users with whom we can practice the language chosen by means of a video conference. Learning Spanish, German, Chinese, French, Arabic or Swahili will soon be child's play.
Main features and functions
This app is based on functions and features such as the following:
- Customized get-together with a partner to practice languages.
- Over 3 million users to choose from.
- Audio calls.
- Video chat.
- Text chat and instant messaging.
- Image messages.
- Text corrector function.
- Creation of topics (it's easier to express yourself if you're talking about something you're interested in).
- Access to professional teachers.
Download the APK and start learning langauges.
How does Tandem work?
As you can see, many of these features work over the VoIP protocol, capable of transmitting video and voice through Internet data signals. That's why it's recommendable to use a WiFi network if you don't want your data consumption to go rocket high and wipe out your phone plan.
This language learning application that's also available for iPhone and that you can also combine with others of the likes of Duolingo (a complement rather than an alternative), works as follows:
- Step 1: choose the language you want to learn so that system can show you who it can match you with.
- Step 2: share topics of your interest to find users with similar tastes: football, music, politics, art, beers...
- Step 3: send messages to other users that you think can help you to speak.
- Step 4: save your language mates as contacts to continue practicing in the near future.
The app also offers you the possibility to contact qualified teachers to settle doubts and help you through the learning process. On the other hand, don't forget that you also can teach other people so that the entire community takes part and learns.
What's new in the latest version
- Several bug fixes.