At present, we can make use of a wide range of instant messaging, chat, and video call apps that use the VoIP protocol: WhatsApp, LINE, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Viber... It's really hard to choose between one or another, although there's always one that stands out above the rest. That's the case of imo - free video calls and chat, an application that has been a noteworthy alternative for communicating with our contacts for quite some time.
We're talking about an Android application that offers us a communications system that works on the VoIP protocol. That means that apart from being able to send written messages and chatting with the people on our contact list, we can also use our Internet connection to make phone calls and establish video conferences by means of our 3G, 4G or WiFi connection.
But which one's better? Skype or imo?
That's an obvious question since Microsoft's communications system has been going around for quite a few years and this service is almost considered a standard when it comes to video calls. In fact, to skype has become a sentence that defines the whole communications system.
Here in imo, you'll find similar functions with the difference that there aren't any restrictions: everything is free. In other words, you won't have to recharge credit to call anywhere around the world. Thanks to the latter, it has become a reference application in countries where it's difficult to call due to the prices and faulty communications.
A high-quality alternative to Skype.
These are the main features and functions of this application:
- Make calls and send messages for free, by simply connecting to a 3G, 4G or WiFi network.
- Enjoy voice and video calls with excellent sound and image quality.
- Chat in groups with friends, family or workmates.
- Share photos and videos.
- Send stickers to liven up your communications.
- Its design is also adapted to tablets.
- Shows which contacts are available to chat or receive calls.
- Group chat functions.
- Customizable interface.
- Function to block users.
- Support for simultaneous sessions.
Although this service was initially born as an Android mobile app, it has also arrived on other platforms, such as iPhone and Windows PC, on which you can download a desktop client. Thus, we can avoid having to download an APK and running it on an emulator to use the application from our computer's desktop.
What's new in the latest version
- Improves the interface's design.
- Improves the performance.
- Contacts that aren't online are shown at the bottom of the list.
- Optimizes the performance on tablets.
- Bug fixes.