As couldn't be otherwise, the most popular social network with the most users in the world also has its own instant messaging and chat application. With the latter, we can communicate with all those users that have decided to download this standalone app that's totally necessary if we want to chat with our contacts on Android.
If you've got a good memory, there was a time in which you only needed to have the official Facebook app installed on your smartphone or tablet, until the time came when the company decided to separate this function from the social network to turn it into a completely independent application. Although many people weren't too keen on the idea, at least we don't need to have network's battery-eating app on our phone as we've only got to download Facebook Messenger to keep in touch with our friends.
Send messages to all your contacts
But the app has definitely evolved: it allows us to communicate with anyone on our contact list, regardless of whether he or she is a Facebook friend or not. You only have to input the phone number to be able to send messages, turning into a global app capable of competing with other alternatives such as WhatsApp (also owned by Zuckerberg and company), LINE, Telegram or Kik Messenger.
A chat app in constant evolution.
But hasn't stopped evolving because it's constantly adding new functions and features that have turned it into a very interesting application that goes way beyond the classic concept of sending text messages: voice and video calls, multimedia files, groups, etc.
Main features of Messenger
- Send individual messages.
- Group chat.
- Share photos and videos.
- Make free voice and video calls using the VoIP protocol.
- Send messages to FB friends and contacts on your phone.
- Send documents.
- Receive activity notifications.
- Find out when your messages have been read by their recipients.
- Forward messages and images to people that aren't in the conversation.
- Enable your location to inform when you're nearby.
- Create shortcuts to your favorite conversations on your device's home screen.
- Check who's active or online on Messenger and Facebook.
- Disable notifications whenever you don't want to be disturbed or keep your session open.
- Take photos and record videos straight from the app and share them within your conversations.
Integrated into the daily use of your smartphone
One of the peculiarities of Messenger by Facebook is how it displays the conversations when running in the background. We've all seen those bubbles that appear with notifications about new messages and that we can move around the screen allowing us to not lose the thread of the conversation while we use other apps... although some people aren't too happy with this function and consider it rather invasive.
Another advantage that took some time to arrive on WhatsApp is that it's based on a development for PC, therefore, ever since the beginning we've been able to chat from Windows, Mac and Linux (first from the web, and later on the desktop). That means that we haven't had to wait to be able to chat on both our desktop and our phone at the same time, which is great for our productivity.
Therefore, if you're a user of this social network that likes to keep in touch with your friends, don't discard the possibility of downloading this app to your phone to have access to one of the most important and popular communication networks in the world.
What's new in the latest version
- The latest improvements included in the newest version of the app have to do with performance and stability improvements.