As you probably already know, some time ago Facebook decided to separate its instant messaging and chat application from the social network's official program to turn it into a standalone app that worked without needing to have the first one installed. This division not only took place on mobile platforms but also on the desktop, and for such purpose, to be able to chat in real time with all your contacts on the social network par excellence, you'll need to download the official desktop client of Messenger for Windows.
Facebook's messaging application, now on the desktop.
The official Messenger app for Windows 10
The official FB Messenger application for Microsoft's operating system only runs on Windows 10. Therefore, if you're still using a previous version of this platform of the likes of Windows 7 or 8.1, unfortunately, you won't be able to download and install this instant messaging program to chat with your contacts on Mark Zuckerberg's social network. At least it's a fully functional and stable version because until not too long ago we could only get hold of a Beta if we were PC users.
How to use Messenger on your PC
The first thing you're going to have to do is log into the application with your Facebook credentials. In other words, your email address (or phone number) and the password chosen for this social network. Once provided, you'll access a very clean and sober interface with all your conversations listed on the left-hand-side, leaving the right-hand-side free to take part in any chat. From that moment, you'll be able to start using the application as you would from your mobile:
- Search for Facebook contacts to chat with.
- Explore all your past conversations.
- Start new individual or group chats.
- Modify your privacy settings.
- Configure and receive notifications so as not to miss out on any important messages.
- Observe which messages haven't been read yet.
- Send text messages, emojis, stickers, animated GIFs, photos, and videos.
- Configure the settings for the download and viewing of images files and videos.
- See at what time your contacts read your messages.
- Forwards messages to other contacts that weren't present in the initial conversations.
- Send voice notes through your computer's microphone.
Now that you know, don't hesitate to download this official Messenger client that allows you to chat with your friends from your PC without having to resort to an Android emulator or anything similar.
What's new in the latest version
As a beta version, every new version of the desktop version of Facebook Messenger for Windows 10 is focused on improving and fixing all the problems and incidents that its users find whilst testing it. All the latter, with the intention to improve the instant messaging app's stability.