In this day and age, where we have so much multimedia content at our disposal, both online via streaming and downloadable through P2P networks, including movies, series, videos, photos, songs, albums, playlists or podcasts, it is practically essential to have a media center to manage and organize all this content more efficiently.
The ultimate media center for your movies and series.
And one of the best programs you will currently find to manage all those videos and audios is the open source software Kodi, formerly known as XBMC, which has just been updated with a new stable version codenamed Matrix. An update that is already available for all platforms on which this media center can be installed, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android and Smart TV.
The main differences compared to Kodi 18
This new version of Kodi, whose name is a tribute to the now classic movie saga starring the idolized all over the Internet Keanu Reeves, brings with it a lot of new features compared to Leia, such as those we list below:
- The music player and library vastly improve the handling of track metadata with new tags, visualizations and other data such as duration, dates or albums from the main interface.
- As for video, HDR support is better, but most of the modifications are more technical, related to each user's hardware.
- It includes a new feature to group videos by artist, in addition to the existing option by album.
- There are changes in the use of subtitles: overlaps in timestamps are corrected, dark gray color is added and text opacity is allowed to be modified.
- Searches related to albums or videos by the same director show better results.
- The live TV or PVR section includes several new features such as widgets for the home screen, navigation controls, new contextual menus and improvements in the group manager, performance and API.
- In terms of security, the added improvements will prevent third-party repositories from overwriting the code of unrelated official add-ons.
- The media center programming language is moving from Python 2 to Python 3.
How does Kodi TV work?
The first thing you should know is that by default, this multimedia program does not include any type of content but it is the user himself, through his downloads, the local files he has on his hard drive or the streaming services he uses, who adds the videos, music and images to the Kodi interface.
In addition to adding his own content, the user can install add-ons or plug-ins from third parties, something similar to how Plex or Stremio works, to get hold of content publicly available on different websites on the Internet. Additional functions and features include:
- File tagging system.
- Playback of audio and video files with advanced functions.
- Support for the main video formats.
- Navigation between files.
- Download of cover art, metadata and synopsis.
- Library for TV programs with the possibility of being organized according to different criteria.
- Viewer with different image views.
- Live TV recording.
- Support for extensions.
- Customization with skins.
- Possibility to be controlled remotely.
What's new in the latest version
- Kodi 19.2 Matrix released with minor fixes and improvements.