What's the song of that car advert? And what's the name of that song that was playing in the bar the other day? And the name of the song that's always on in your elevator? Until not too long ago, these were usual questions we'd ask ourselves when we heard a song we liked and we had no chance of finding out its name. Now, you don't have to live with all those concerns because you can make use of Shazam, the application to identify and recognize songs.
Developed for iPhone, Android, Windows PC, and Mac (which means that you don't have to download the APK to have it working on your computer by means of an Android emulator), this application is based on its capacity to recognize music playing out loud or on your phone. In other words, it can identify the song and singer of any track playing through loudspeakers and also anything playing on our mobile device, whether a movie or a series.
The most social music identification and recognition
But ever since it appeared a few years ago, this song hunter has evolved to offer us a more social experience, going beyond the identification of songs to become a channel to discover music. It does so thanks to the following features and functions:
- Identification and recognition of songs.
- Access the lyrics of the songs.
- Play the songs' videos on YouTube.
- Listen to clips in Apple Music to be able to purchase them and add the songs to Rdio and Spotify, if available.
- Check the top charts on Shazam: find out what everyone is searching for.
- Discover which songs are the most popular in your country and city.
- Listen to radio stations based on your searches.
- See what songs your friends are identifying by connecting the application to your Facebook account.
- Share your discoveries on social networks and via instant messaging and chat apps of the likes of LINE and WhatsApp.
- Follow your favorite artists and find out what they shazam.
- Receive news and updates about your favorite music.
How does Shazam work?
The procedure is very simple and is based on two cases for which you'd have to follow these steps:
- Music playing out loud: aim your iPhone towards the sound source and press the button to identify songs. It will recognize it in a matter of second if there aren't any interferences.
- Music playing on your device: open the app and press the button to recognize the audio.
Download the app right now for free (or get hold of the Encore version to remove all the adverts) and you'll no longer have to wait for someone to tell you the name of the song that's playing.