The world of professional video editing from a PC has several main actors. We could talk about Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, Lightworks or even Pinnacle Studio, but one of the programs that stands out the most in this field and that offers some of the best results is definitely Sony Vegas Pro.
Video editing for professional artists.
This software has been one of the most popular video post production and rendering tools for years, and despite not belonging to Sony anymore, but Magix instead, and having removed any reference to Sony from its name, it continues to be one of the favorite programs of video editing professionals, as it's one of the most intuitive solutions to manipulate audiovisual contents in real time, despite requiring certain advanced knowledge and plenty of free time to master all its functions.
Main features of Magix Vegas Pro
- Video, image and audio editing with professional results.
- Possibility to edit videos from up to 32 different sources.
- Timeline to adjust frames in a simple and intuitive manner.
- Introduction of effects, transitions between tracks and filters.
- Shape and effect masking tools.
- Creation of three-dimensional projects with stereoscopic 3D settings and the possibility to add depth to 2D elements.
- Compatible with multiple formats, including video in 4K and RAW images.
- Loads of different plug-ins available to expand the already complete functions of the program.
What can we find in version 14 of Vegas Pro?
Compared to previous editions, the new version of this software launched in September of this year comes along with loads of updates that improve the advanced editing functions available until now:
- HEVC/H.265: thanks to this technology the user can compress his videos even more, without losing any quality, saving storage space and simplifying broadcast streaming.
- Native support for ProRes: this software no longer depends on third-party applications to offer support for ProRes files, guaranteeing the lossless quality of the videos.
- Smart upscaling: thanks to the new upscaling technology we can turn HD recording into 4K or UHD, preserving the same image quality.
- Compatibility with High Frame Rate (HFR) images allowing video professionals to make the most of their cameras to record at more FPS.
- New option to speed up videos up to 40 times the normal velocity.
- Smart zoom: during post production you can include zooms created after recording without losing any image quality.
- New Hover Scrub function that simplifies the process of indicating in and out points on video clips.
- New plug-ins to introduce different video effects such as vignette.
- Greater hardware support to make this program compatible with more video cameras.
- New function to create and author professional DVDs and Blurays.
And how much is this Vegas Pro going to cost me?
Well, in view of all its functions and features, it's definitely not going to be cheap. However, you can try it out for free for 7 days, which can be extended to 30 after a free registration process, but the software comes along in 3 different editions with prices that range between 400 dollars for the Pro Edit version, to 800 dollars for the Pro Suite version, with the standard Pro version sitting on shelves for about 600 dollars.