With the number of hours you spend jumping from video to video, there's hardly anything new we can tell you about YouTube at this stage. The portal belonging to Google is one of the most visited webs in the world and it hosts millions of videos that any user can watch via streaming from their web browser, through official applications or by means of clients developed by third parties. No wonder it's the site that generates the most Internet traffic every year.
If you've got an iPad or iPhone, the best way to enjoy all the audiovisual content from this site is through the official application developed by Google for such purpose. You'll no longer have to open your browser to search for the video clip of this summer's hit, watch the latest video of your favorite youtuber or enjoy a music playlist while you're studying, as you can do so from the native app that brings together the best functions, packing them into a modern and versatile iOS-style application.
Four tabs to ruel them all.. all your videos, of course.
In fact, the application is so simple and minimalistic that you'll only need to access four tabs to make the most of it: Home, where you'll find customized recommendations; Subscriptions, to keep up with all the updates to the channels you follow; Trending, to discover the hottest contents at present that everyone is talking about; and Library; where you'll find the videos you've marked as favorites to be able to watch them time after time.
Main functions of YouTube for iPhone
- Search by keyword and access videos, playlists, and channels that match your searches.
- Find the videos that everyone is talking about, sorted by games, news, music and live.
- Subscribe to channels that you want to follow to find out when a new video is published.
- Possibility to make voice searches and use the smart function the recommends search suggestions.
- Enjoy live broadcasts and events via streaming.
- Create your own videos by means of the built-in tools, edit them, apply filters and upload them to your account.
- Option to play videos in the desired quality and with subtitles if necessary.
- Send the videos you're playing straight to your TV by means of AirPlay.
- Minimize the video you're playing to be able to browse the portal in the meantime.
- Check your video history to find those videos you've played in the past.
- Vote each video positively or negatively and leave comments or reply to those by other users.
- Share your favorite videos on WhatsApp, Facebook or by email.
Among all these functions, you're probably missing the possibility to download videos to be able to watch them offline. No, you can't do that and on iOS we can't even get hold of the typical youtube downloaders that are so common on Android, so your only option is to use an Internet connection to enjoy the contents hosted on the site.
How to download and install YouTube on iPhone?
Really, still asking those sorts of questions? Oh, OK, so you're an old-school guy that still uses iOS 6 or earlier when YouTube was integrated into Apple's mobile operating system and there was nothing to download. Well, it's an official Google application, but that doesn't mean you can't get hold of it from iTunes, the official iOS app store.
Just like all applications that you download from the App Store, just tap the Get button, wait a few seconds for it to download, and then press Open. You can use the application without registering an account, but if you want to make the most of all the above-mentioned functions, the best thing you can do is log in to be able to access your favorite videos and subscriptions.
What's new in the latest version
- Bug fixes.