The field of instant messaging and chat apps is in for some fierce competition on Android and iPhone (and also on Windows Phone and Blackberry, of course). The list of applications of this nature is very long, starting off with the omnipresent WhatsApp: Facebook Messenger, Telegram, Kik, Viber, Skype, BBM... and of course LINE.
The fact is that it's quite complicated to put up a fight against Zuckerberg's toys, but this Japanese application has managed to do so, at least in a few countries. Not for nothing, it was a groundbreaker when it came to implementing certain features such as its PC version much before the arrival of WhatsApp Desktop. In fact, it still comes along with loads more functions than those offered by the Californian guys.
One of the reference messaging and chat apps in the world.
But taking into account that downloading a chat app doesn't mean you have to waiver others, what makes this one a favorite among millions of people, especially in Asian countries? Well, features such as the following that you'll be able to enjoy once you download the APK and register as a user:
- Instant messaging and chatting between contacts.
- Free voice and video calls using the VoIP protocol and supporting 200 people connected at the same time.
- Keep function that allows us to save messages, photos, and videos, and later share them.
- Wide range of emojis and stickers to emphasize your expressiveness in messages.
- TimeLINE function to share photos, text, locations...
- Multiplatform: use your user account on Windows, macOS, iPhone or the web version accessible from your browser.
- International call service with LINE Out at special rates.
- Access to a huge selection of games.
As you can see, not only does it take on traditional messaging apps, but also other such as Skype, the most noteworthy feature of which are its VoIP functions. Furthermore, it offers the user functions that can be found on social networks, allowing the user to share all sorts of multimedia functions.
In turn, there's also a function to add stickers and emojis. And although it wasn't the first application to introduce them it was the service that made them viral, unleashing a sticker frenzy that has infected other apps such as Facebook Messenger and Telegram.
Which one's better? WhatsApp or LINE?
We're talking about two different concepts. Neither is more or less useful than the other because they're both used to send messages. However, we can say that the Japanese software is much more complete in terms of functions... and some of which would definitely be well-received (especially, Keep). But on the other hand, the American app has a much more sober design than its Asian counterpart, much more visual and user-friendly. It's perfect for whoever may be into manga and stickers, but not for those users that just want to keep communications simple.
What's new in the latest version?
- Make backups of your chat history on Google Drive.
- Use videos on your phone as video profiles.
- Pin to the upper part the chats you use the most.
- Change the background color and use animated letters.
- Share photos and videos from other apps.
- When you sort unread chats, those in which you've been mentioned will appear in the first place.