Instant messaging and chat applications of the likes of WhatsApp and Telegram have taken SMS and MMS next to death. However, it could soon be coming back thanks to certain mobile plans that include the unlimited delivery of SMS and the modernization of the system thanks to apps of the likes of Android Messages by Google that integrates both SMS and MMS into a modern-looking chat and messaging app.
This application, with an interface that follows the same design guidelines of all Google apps, clean, plain, and simple, allows the user to easily communicate with family and friends via SMS and MMS, as well as being able to send group messages, share images, videos, or audio files, just as we've been doing for years on our Android smartphones.
It brings together all sorts of messaing in a single Google application.
Main features of Google's Messages app
The main idea behind this application is quite clear: Google wants to overthrow WhatsApp by making this app, which's already installed by default on all Android devices, more than enough to communicate, without needing to turn to third-party apps. For such purpose, it includes the following features:
- Possibility to send SMS, MMS, videos, images, and audio files.
- Quick search to easily find contacts and conversations.
- Intuitive and colorful design that simplifies communications.
- Blocking options to get rid of contacts that you're not interested in.
- Send audio messages and hundreds of emojis and stickers.
- It allows the user to easily share his location with the precision offered by Google Maps.
- Shows when the messages have been read.
- Compatible with Android Watch so that users with a compatible wearable con chat and send messages without taking their phone out of their pocket.
What's new in the latest version
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.