Mobile phone addiction and our dependency towards this sort of device have become a first-world problem that many people have fallen for without even realizing. We can end up spending too much time staring at our device, with a certain anxiety and without any real reason to do so, apart from the hours we waste on social networks or watching for videos, for instance.
The app to reduce mobile dependency
To try to make a more rational use of our smartphone, Google has released Google Digital Wellbeing which measures the time we spend using each application and can set usage reminders and even block notifications. All the latter, in order to make a more balanced use of our Android phone and only turn to it when we really need it.
These are the main functions offered in this app which will help us, amongst other things, to avoid being rude and look at our phone when talking to someone else:
- Frequency with which you use each application.
- Number of notifications you receive by the end of the day.
- How often you check your phone.
- Daily app timers that allow you to limit the time you spend.
- Rest mode that reminds you to switch off your phone at nighttime and schedules the screen to be displayed in grayscale.
- Don't Disturb mode with muted notifications.
Download this APK right now and install it on your phone if you're running Android 9, the minimum version of the operating system necessary to run it.
What's new in the latest version
- We can now turn on Bedtime mode automatically with a daily schedule and with a simple tap from the settings menu.
- Pause the Bedtime mode to use the phone a bit longer.