It has been a long time since Google was simply a search engine. By means of the algorithm originally designed by Sergei Brin and Larry Page, in under 20 years, it has become one of the most important technological giants in the world and the ruler of everything that happens on the Internet.
Its wide range of web-based services and products include, as you probably already know, the mobile operating system Android, which covers over 80% of smartphone users around the world (Apple is nowhere near them with its iPhone). And to be able to improve the integration of those services on our mobile devices, we can make use of Google App, the search engine application that allows us to carry out written and spoken searches.
A search assistant for your Android smartphone
As well as being able to carry out searches in a classic mode, it also comes along with the Google Now assistant which we can ask questions through our device's microphone. Thanks to the latter, any question we may ask will be quickly answered: from knowing the football results of your favorite team to finding nearby restaurants based on your geolocation, as well as establishing reminders.
Don't waste any time, just ask out loud.
Without a doubt, an application that can definitely improve our productivity and that's capable of offering us the following functions making use of the different online services belonging to the company: maps, translator, scholar Google, Google Play...
- Receive immediate replies to your questions thanks to web searches.
- Receive hourly reports about the weather forecast.
- Check movie reviews, ratings, and box office times.
- Get hold of directions and real-time traffic information with a single screen tap.
- Read the latest news about any topic.
- Search for nearby places using the Maps function.
- Ask questions and receive replies out loud.
- Find images and apply filters.
- Instantly translate any sentence or word into over 100 languages.
- Establish reminders.
In turn, it incorporates a system that bears in mind what you search for and how you use the app so it learns from your habits to offer you information that you'll find more and more interesting.
You can also customize the feed to receive whatever information you want at the time of your choice. For such purpose, you only have to download the APK of this app if it isn't already installed on your device. That would be surprising as it's usually built into the pack of Google apps included on the majority of Android devices.
Without a doubt, it's the best way to use the search engine from a smartphone or tablet. Furthermore, although the links are opened straight in the app, you can send them to Chrome with a single tap.
And yes, there are plenty of tricks and cheats for this application, but this might be the most useful tip you'll read today: use the app a lot because the more you use it, the better results it will offer as it learns from your habits.
What's new in the latest version
- Improves the aspect of the search page.
- Doodles designed to be used in the app.
- Adds offline voice actions, such as playing music or enabling the WiFi.
- Webs open inside the app.