MiKTeX is a text processor based on LaTeX, the text writing system that's distributed under an open-source license and is aimed at putting together texts that intend to represent high-quality graphics.
A complete TeX/LaTeX editor
The text editor offers us a very basic interface, similar to that of word pads or plain text editors. It offers us really interesting features when it comes to working with TeX and LaTeX:
- Simple installation of all components.
- Comes along with a pack of over 800 different fonts and macros.
- Integrates Yap, its own viewer of DVI files.
- Comes along with TeX and LaTeX compilers, tools to generate bibliographic tools and indices, and to create PostScript, PDF, and HTML files.
- Includes its own control console from where we can manage configurations, updates, and packs of components.
One of the main advantages of this text editor regarding others that also work with LaTeX is that it comes along with a function to update automatically by downloading the latest version of each component, without needing to check manually when they were released. Thus, users can always have access to the latest packs available.