Among the editing tools found in the Microsoft Office suite, we have to point out the desktop publishing tool Microsoft Publisher. It's a program the purpose of which is to design and lay out pages, shaping up all sorts of publications with better results than those offered by Word, as at the end of the day it's basically a text processor with all the limitations that that implies
Design the layout of a book, magazine or wedding album
This software offers a wide range of functions that allows us to edit all sorts of printouts: books, leaflets, brochures, flyers, catalogs... It's probably not up to other desktop publishing programs like Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress or Corel Draw, but it's learning curve isn't too steep so it's perfect for beginners and anyone familiar with Microsoft Office's interface.
A great program for editors and printers.
What can you do with Microsoft's desktop publisher?
It offers us the following features and functions:
- Insert contents like text or images into pages.
- Place different sorts of boxes depending on their content.
- Save structures to be repeated in different sections.
- Access a wide range of preset templates.
- Add batch images.
- Design page backgrounds.
- Apply different formats and effects to texts.
- Integrate and share projects with OneDrive for collaborative work.
- Import images from Microsoft's online stock photos.
- Use your own photos as background images for your projects.
- Tools aimed at images: possibility to swap photos, apply professional effects or use online pictures without having to download them in the first place.
- Customize your publications using familiar tools, such as mail merge and the ribbon interface.
- Adapt your content to suit the needs of your audience: generate links to share your publications or send them by email.
Thanks to its integration with Microsoft's cloud storage service, OneDrive, it becomes a very useful tool for teamwork: all project members can keep up to date with changes or apply them themselves if they have editing permission.
Furthermore, we can have the program always up to date if we have an Office 365 subscription: the latest version available will be downloaded automatically.
What formats are compatible with version 2019 of Publisher?
The tool is compatible with different document formats. Thus, you can import files with the following extensions: DOC, DOX, HTML, PUB, RTF, TXT, WPD, and WPS. Furthermore, you can export the results in DOCX, BMP, GIF, JPG, PS, MHT, PDF, and XPS.
What's new in the latest version
- Microsoft hasn't disclosed the modifications included in this version.