One the many useful features of modern smartphones, apart from their instant messaging capacities that allow us to be connected to friends and family 24/7, is definitely their photo cameras and the possibility to instantly capture any moment. Or isn't it one of the aspects you rate the most when it comes to choosing a new phone?
Android phones are incorporating better and better cameras, to such an extent that digital cameras are almost in disuse. Why? Well, apart from being much more comfortable to carry around a single gadget in our pocket, we also have to point out the proliferation of photo editing applications of the likes of Photoshop, B612 or Aviary, which allow us to enhance and modify our pics straight from our phone before uploading them to our favorite social networks.
A powerful photo editor, collage creator and drawing tool.
And among those apps for smartphones and tablets, we can point out PicsArt Photo Studio, a tool that goes way beyond the simple editing of photos with which we can edit pics, create collages, apply filters and effects or add stickers. What makes it different to other similar applications is its huge social component as it allows us to discover nearby users, follow other artists, take part in daily challenges and share all our creations online straight from the platform's own social network. As it says in its name, a real photo studio in the palm of our hand.
What effects will I find in PicsArt?
It might be easier to answer the question which effects and filters aren't available in this Android application that also has a free version for PCs equipped with Windows 8.1 and 10 (Windows 7 and Mac users aren't in luck this time around), as well as iPhone and iPad. Because the truth is that there are more than 1,000 different enhancements to be applied to turn your images into real works of art: blur effects, artistic effects, mirror effects, pixel-art effects, characterization effects, fisheye effects, spiral effects...
Apart from the latter, the APK of this social image editor allows offers us access to other noteworthy functions and features:
- Edit photos with funny stickers and filters to then share them on the app, Instagram, Facebook or WhatsApp.
- Take part in daily challenges remixing the same photo with your friends to see who does it better.
- Create photo compositions such as mosaics or collages.
- Hundreds of free sticker packs and other premium ones you'll have to buy by means of in-app purchases.
- Add text and subtitles to your creations with all sorts and sizes of fonts.
- Thousands of clipart packs to add new texts, emojis, and backgrounds to your images.
- Magical effects boosted by the app's artificial intelligence to create artistic compositions.
- Discover and follow other artists that use the app and observe the work they share.
- New tutorials published every week teaching you all the tricks and tips you need to know about this editor.
Which one's better? PicsArt, Snapseed, Instagram or Retrica?
As always when it comes to discussing whether one application is better than another, everything will depend on how we use it. Snapseed, for instance, is a very complete and professional editor but it may lack the vast amount of artistic effects present in PicsArt and neither does it put special emphasis on the social functions of the latter. Totally the opposite of Instagram that's mainly focused on applying filters and sharing images online but with fewer possibilities than the app we're reviewing today. With regards to Retrica, it's a great photo and video editor, with the capacity to create GIFs but that's also missing some more social functions. Are any of them better than the others? Only you can answer that question once you've tried them all out.
What's new in the latest version?
- Bug fixes.