There are quite a few free video editors but not all of them are open-source. In other words, that you can access their source code. If you simply want to edit your home videos, you're probably not too interested in these aspects. However, you should know that Shotcut is multiplatform so that you can install it on your Mac, Windows or Linux, or download its source code straight away. It's a simple video editor for which you can also download tutorials and manuals from its web.
It supports video resolutions of up to 4K.
Main features of Shotcut
This software has nothing to envy of others that you probably even have to pay for. This application comes along with loads of options and really noteworthy compatibilities:
- Supports video resolutions of up to 4K.
- Compatible with the main image formats: BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA or TIFF.
- Comes along with an image and audio capture tool for our webcam.
- Possibility to export a single frame a sequence of images.
- Edit and monitor audio channels.
- Track-based video composition.
- Loads of filters and effects.
As we said, you can carry out all sorts of post-production tasks, whether on your video or audio: editing, cropping, pasting, inserting, effects, filters... You can save and load clips in XML or MLT format, control the zoom... You can learn how to use all these functions and tools thanks to the manuals or tutorials hosted on the official website or by means of forums where other users can teach you. And once you learn, you can teach others.