Over 25 years ago, Nintendo decided to release Mario Kart. We're talking about 1992 and the game was published for its news Super NES, becoming a huge commercial hit amongst customers and critics. Since then there have been several sequels for desktop consoles such as the Nintendo 64 or Wii, as well as handheld consoles.
Now it's time for Mario Kart for phones
And since Nintendo has started to develop mobile games for Android and iOS (with Super Mario Run as its most popular title), now it's the turn for Mario Kart. And the first game of the series for mobile devices is Mario Kart Tour which was announced back on February 1st on Twitter and confirmed that it would be free-to-start just like Super Mario Run. In other words, we can download it for free but we'll have to pay as we advance through the game.
Just like the rest of the games in this saga, it's a racing simulator (although it's closer to arcade than simulation) in which we'll drive different cars with characters from Nintendo's video games. After taking a look at the first images offered by the company through promotional videos, we can say that it respects the original Mario Kart philosophy as it comes along with appealing graphics and it allows us to carry out all sorts of stunts and stunning actions sitting behind the wheel of these vehicles.
We have to suppose that the features offered in this title will bring together all those seen in previous installments of the Mario Kart saga:
- Different game modes.
- Playable characters of the likes of Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Daisy, Mii or Peach.
- On-track objects such as bananas, blue shells, mushrooms, stars...
- Different car models.
- Different tracks to race around.
- It allows us to play online against our friends or against other players from all over the world.
- Includes challenges such as "Vs. Mega Bowser" and "Goomba Takedown".
- As encouragement, players can collect badges, drivers, vehicles, and other elements.
- To start off, we have to create or associate a Nintendo account.
Without a doubt, it's one of those Nintendo titles that couldn't be missing in the catalog of mobile games developed by the Japanese enterprise. Although it has taken more time than expected, it was made available on September 25th, 2019 for all players all over the world.
What's new in the latest version
- You can join a normal or gold race in which a friend is taking part.
- Detailed stats of previous seasons.
- Additional rules to obtain event tokens.
- New events are underway.