An office suite can be considered as a tool of first need on any computer. We all know excellent products like iWork or Microsoft Office, but did you know that there is a completely free alternative to the latter? It's called Apache OpenOffice and has nothing to envy of these two great tools.
Six tools in the same pack that will satisfy your needs
It's made up by six independent tools in the same pack that approach different office aspects. With these utilities, we will have everything we need to generate documents that can range from text to a vector drawing, and all the latter by means of a user-friendly design that will make it very easy to use.
OpenOffice's six tools
- Writer: a text processor compatible with many formats, including those associated to Word. It integrates different dictionaries and allows the export of any document created to PDF.
- Calc: the spreadsheet of OpenOffice, compatible with the documents generated by Excel. Not only is it capable of generating customized charts, but it also includes collaborative tools.
- Draw: the tool with which you can create both technical and artistic images based on vector drawings.
- Base: the management of simple databases is also present, and with this tool we can organize and manage any type of data.
- Impress: compatible with PowerPoint, it is an application to create slideshows using all sorts of templates that can be edited. You can also save them in HTML or Flash format.
- Math: tool to carry out all sorts of maths calculations.
It comes to prove that being free doesn't mean low quality. Backed by Apache, downloading it to our Mac is the serious and efficient alternative to more popular office suites.