The nineteenth version of Android, Android 12, is the one presented in February 2021 and as already happened with Android 10 and 11, it is not accompanied by any dessert or sweet name (although it is known internally and unofficially as Snow Cone). Through its different beta versions, we have already been able to discover many of the features it brings with it.
Design changes and new features
As usual, it comes with design changes, which is the first thing the user will notice. These are mainly based on the guidelines of this one, in which Material NEXT is the result of the evolution of Material Design, which we will see in the themes of its interface. The transitions in the system and the clock widget are also modified and we will be able to see home screens for those apps that do not have them as standard. Another aspect that undergoes changes are the quick settings of the system, divided into two columns and some changes to facilitate interaction with some options to improve the experience of visually impaired users.
In these design changes, it is worth mentioning a more intelligent screen rotation, to prevent it from going vertical or horizontal when it should not. Notification bubbles will also undergo changes, with animations.
As for new features, these are the highlights:
- Game Manager, a native game mode with which apps automatically access certain settings.
- Native firewall.
- Easier use of other app stores.
- App Pairs, to use applications in split screen.
- PiP or Picture in Picture mode, to continue watching videos of any app anywhere in the system: the app is kept in the background and the video in front of the user. The size of the video will be adjustable.
- Daily update of emoji packs from Google Play.
- Connectivity improvements through better bandwidth estimation.