Everybody knows how useful online storage services can be: a hard drive on the Internet to where you can upload any file and be able to access it from wherever you are and on any device.
Amongst the most popular services of this nature, we have to point out Dropbox, Box, and the solutions offered by Apple and Microsoft: iCloud and OneDrive, respectively. But, of course, we can't forget about Google Drive either, the option provided by the search engine and that integrates with the rest of its services.
Opinions from a large number of users place it as the best cloud storage service.
An online hard drive with 15 GB of space
That's the capacity available for any user on Google's servers. For such purpose, you only need a user account that grants you with access to the company's servers. In other words, the email address with which you access Gmail, Google+, Docs, YouTube, and any other of the tools included within the ecosystem of web applications developed by the Californian company with headquarters in Mountain View.
These are the main features of this service:
- Upload your files and save them safely.
- Search for files by name or by content.
- Share them with other users: send a link to download any stored element or add them as users authorized to carry out collaborative edits.
- Open contents in over 30 different formats straight from the app: PDF, JPG, Word, Excel...
- Assign access permissions at several different levels: edition, viewing, and comments.
- Check your recent files.
- Check details and the activity carried out on your files.
- View the contents of your folders offline.
- Scan paper documents with the camera of your device and share them online.
- Access your photo and video gallery on Google Photos.
- Integration with Google Photos.
Integration with Google Docs
One of the most noteworthy aspects approached by Google's Drive trying to compete with OneDrive is its integration with its own office suite. If Microsoft's app offers us perfect synchronization with its Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...), the guys at the big G have done exactly the same with their online office package.
Thus, you can create and edit Google documents with rich text format straight from the application and the rest of users will instantly view the changes made on the latter. This integration allows you to carry out actions such as quick edits on spreadsheets, view PDF files or access slideshows.
How much does Google Drive cost? What's the price of each user plan?
Using the storage is free. As we mentioned above, you only need an email address to be able to access it. However, there are different plans depending on the category chosen:
- 15 GB: free. The default plan for any user.
- 100 GB: for 1.99€ a month. You get 7 times more storage capacity.
- 1 TB: 1,000 GB for 9.99€ a month. It's the most popular paid service as it meets the needs of many professionals that require plenty of safe space on the Internet.
- 10 TB: for 99.99€ a month you can access a huge hard drive. Especially focused on companies and academic and research institutions.
So now that you know, if you need an online storage service that you can access from Android, don't hesitate to download the APK of Drive by Google. Remember that it's also compatible with iPhone, Windows PC, Mac or Linux distros of the likes of Ubuntu.
What's new in the latest version
- Bug fixes and performance improvements.