You probably remember Megaupload, the online storage service that offered us contents via direct download for free by simply registering as a user or paying a monthly flat rate that gave us access to absolutely everything. Then you'll also definitely remember how it was shut down after a stunning police assault on the mansion of its owner, Kim Dotcom, due to the copyright violation lawsuits that were filed against him.
Whilst the always controversial Mr. Dotcom waits for his case to be settled at court, he has launched an alternative cloud storage service to compete against others of the likes of Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Box. We're obviously talking about MEGA.
The safest cloud storage of them all?
This app is the official Android client to manage our storage space and all the files we upload to our account. It allows us to do so from our smartphone or tablet, also letting us upload, download and organize and rename files.
End-to-end encryption is one of this service's strong points.
But which one's better? Why should I use it instead of Dropbox, Google Drive, and others? Well, it's not all about the 50 GB of free space that it offers. It also has to do with the file encryption provided, mainly due to Dotcom's legal conflicts with US government. It implements end-to-end encryption in which only the uploader and downloader can view the contents, without the service itself or any middlemen being able to access the files.
Options available and main features
Once you download this APK to your smartphone or tablet, you'll be able to make the most of the following features:
- Upload and download files from Android.
- Search for files in your account.
- Access basic file edition functions: rename, move, delete...
- Create folders to organize your contents.
- Share links to the contents of this service.
- Synchronize your camera: you'll be able to automatically upload photos and videos.
How much does MEGA cost?
Regarding its free version, it's definitely one of the most interesting services available because, as we mentioned above, it offers 50 GB of free space to be used without paying. However, if we want even more space we can subscribe to any of the following monthly plans:
- PRO LITE: $4.99€ per month, 200 GB of storage space, and 1 TB of monthly bandwidth.
- PRO I: $9.99€ per month, 500 GB of storage space, and 2 TB of monthly bandwidth.
- PRO II: $19.99€ per month, 2 TB of storage space, and 4 TB of monthly bandwidth.
- PRO III: $29.99€ per month, 4 TB of storage space, and 8 TB of monthly bandwidth.
As you can see, it's a great service to store all your data on the cloud and a very interesting alternative to other online platforms of this nature. Furthermore, it also offers us clients for other operating systems such as iPhone and Windows PC.
What's new in the latest version
- Adds the function to resume transfers.
- Offers local prices when extending the account.
- Fixes bugs and implements performance improvements.