macOS Monterey is version 12 of Apple's operating system for its laptop and desktop computers. It takes the place of macOS Big Sur, and its name honors the city of the same name (Monterrey in Spanish) founded at the end of the 18th century and famous, among many other things, for its jazz festival.
Improved individual and group productivity
Introduced at WWDC 2021, it has been developed to enhance group productivity and share with other users all the work we do on our computers. Therefore, productivity tools have been improved to offer the best possible experience, and applications such as FaceTime take on a special role.
Nowadays, we have realized how important it is to share and be as close as possible to others despite the physical distance, Apple has focused the development of macOS in this sense, but has not forgotten relevant design tweaks or improvements of some features to make them more agile, functional, and private. These are the main new features offered by Monterey:
- Facetime gets improvements in video and sound transmission, such as voice isolation or background blur. It also integrates the SharePlay function to share with others the experience of watching series or movies and the use of links to invite other users to calls from Apple, Windows, or Android devices.
- Improved sharing functions in Messages.
- Safari has a new way to organize tabs in groups and the tab bar is compact.
- Customizable focus mode with advanced filters to block non-important notifications. It can be set for gaming, cinema, work, and so on.
- Function to create quick notes at any time, website, or app with tagging system for your organization.
- Direct sharing of iPhone or iPad content directly to the Mac thanks to AirPlay.
- Live Text function that makes all the text in the system photos interactive, making it possible to copy, translate, and search them.
- New Shortcuts app to configure shortcuts to computer functions in a customized way.
- Improvement in the maps app, including greater detail of both cities and geographical features.
- Privacy enhancements in Mail to prevent activity tracking.
- iCloud is updated with new privacy features to prevent email forwarding or companies from tracking your browsing activity.
Monterey is supported by the following devices:
- MacBook: early 2016 and later.
- MacBook Air: early 2015 and later.
- MacBook Pro: early 2015 and later.
- Mac Mini: late 2014 and later.
- iMac: early 2015 and later.
- iMac Pro: late 2017 or later.
- Mac Pro: late 2013 and later