Browsing the Internet from a smartphone usually requires consuming less data since we have to adjust to our ISP's plan unless we've managed to connect to a reliable WiFi network. This lower consumption, as well as affecting our phone bill, also has an impact on the loading of web pages. Therefore, it's also important to have a web browser that can also optimize our browsing experience.
The lite Opera browser for Android
Thus, the Norwegian developers also offer us a version of their famous browser focused on adjusting certain browsing parameters even more. This Opera Mini takes care of reducing the consumption and trying not to have a negative impact on the mobile device's performance, being a very appropriate tool for low-end smartphones. Unlike its full version that also offers us excellent features but needs powerful phones to run it.
You probably already know all about its history: its first version was released back in 1995 for PCs with Windows and over the years it has known how to renovate to become one the most popular browsers among users. It will never reach the level of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, but it remains as one of the most used applications in the word, incorporating innovations that have been recreated by others.
Among other things, it's the forerunner of tab-based browsing and the incognito mode.
This lite version is aimed at reducing the consumption of data and, among its main features and functions, we have to point out the following:
- Data tracking to check your consumption and view the volume of data saved.
- Tab-based multitask browsing.
- Private or incognito browsing function to prevent the browser from storing our history.
- Download files in the background, being able to queue up large files to start downloading them when connected to a WiFi network.
- Speed dial function for your favorite webs that you can add with the + button from the address bar.
- Synchronization between devices if you logged into all of them.
- Latest news section that gathers information from several general and sports news sites.
- Nighttime mode.
- Possibility to configure different search engines.
- Ad blocker.
You should know that this APK is rather special as this minimalistic version is only available for Android smartphones and tablets, as well as iPhone, so Windows, Mac, and Linux users can't make use of it.
Which is the best mobile web browser?
That's a good question, but the truth is that there isn't much difference between the different options available. Chrome, Firefox, UC Browser, Puffin, Ghostery, Naked, Dolphin... they're all worthy developments that provide us with a pleasant and fast user experience.
However, we might by interested in aspects such as using a replica of our computer on our phone (to improve the data synchronization) or saving as much data as possible. If so, Opera Mini comes along as one of the best alternatives to access any website.