If there's an application that springs to mind when talking about video calls over the Internet, that definitely has to be Skype. It always has been, even before being purchased by Microsoft, who enhanced its functions and turned into one of the most powerful domestic communications tools (although it's also very popular in professional environments).
Free voice and video calls straight from your smartphone
And that's exactly what the Android version of this application offers us and the reason why downloading its APK is one of our best options if we want to communicate at a cheap rate: you only need a data connection (better if its WiFi) and you can call landlines and mobiles and establish video conferences.
It has become a VoIP: the expression "to Skype someone" says it all.
It comes along with different functions, including instant messaging although this aspect isn't as powerful as WhatsApp, LINE or Facebook Messenger due to the market share of these apps:
- Establish video calls and talk face-to-face with your contacts.
- Hold video conferences and group calls with up to 25 people.
- Communicate with any Skype user for free.
- Purchase different payment plans to expand your phone call possibilities.
- Send chat messages and create groups with up to 300 people.
- Share photos, video messages, your location, emoticons, emojis or chat files.
- Talk to any user regardless of whether he uses the Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, iPad or Android tablet version.
Is it worth downloading the application? Yes, definitely. If we take into account how many users are on Skype, we're talking about over 300 million people to chat to (at least according to Microsoft's figures).
Hardly any apps shorten distances between people as much as this one.
How much does it cost?
Let's see, installing the application and using the majority of its functions is totally free: the chat messages or voice and video calls to other users. However, if you want to call landlines and mobile phones. Then you're going to need to purchase some credit.
It works like a virtual wallet that you can recharge in amounts of 10 and 25 euros. Different rates are applied depending on your location and the terminal you're calling: calling a landline costs about 2 cents per minute, while a mobile will cost you about 9 cents.
In turn, there are also subscription plans that offer you a fixed amount of minutes per month to call certain places for a set amount of money.
But, is it better than WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or LINE?
Well, yes, it could well be. The truth is that the other apps mentioned have made them self a name due to their instant messaging and chat capabilities, but their functions for voice and video calls are relatively new. We're not saying that they're faulty, but Microsoft's app has plenty of more experience and has become a standard for millions of people that have the advantage that they can call anyone in the world, regardless of the device used, even a landline phone.
What's new in the latest version
- Improves the privacy of our conversations by means of end-to-end encryption.
- Improves Bluetooth functions and connection.
- Reliability and stability improvements.